You won't find this job advertised anywhere else and it is an extremely unique opportunity.
This Chief Technology Officer will have the freedom to shape this new business, as well as their own future.
The company is a young start-up with roots in both Cambridge, UK and Pisa, Italy. Therefore, you can be based in either location, as long as you are happy with some travel to each of the workplaces.
The organisation is working in the Quantum Communications space and we are looking for a leader to develop a position which may involve random number generation (QRNG), single photon generation or single photon detection hardware. You will have the support and guidance of world-famous, leading academics and experienced business leaders.
In discussion with the board and reporting to the CEO, the CTO will develop the technology strategy, lead the submission of funding applications, lead the recruitment of the research team and be key in creating a commercial strategy
Through a sister organisation, the company has access to a superbly equipped, class 100/1000 cleanroom to commission R&D programs if needed. Research can be undertaken through collaboration with the Cambridge Graphene Centre until funding is available for a dedicated facility.
- Lead process creation of the technology strategy for Quantum Communications hardware
- Lead the submission of grant funding applications with IUK, H2020 and others
- Lead recruitment of the development team
- Participate in creating the commercial strategy for the company
- Coordinate collaboration contracts with partner organisations for access to research or development facilities
- Actively participate in hands-on development of new hardware concepts
- Participate as an active member of EU industry groups
- Lead the launch of new products
- PhD in Physics, Engineering, Material Science, or equivalent with direct involvement in one of the relevant Quantum applications
- 1+ year's direct involvement in Quantum technology research
- Evidence of successful grant writing
- Excellent communication skills with the interpersonal ability to speak convincingly to funders
- Experience with 2D materials (graphene, hBN) is a plus
- Fluent in English (competence in Italian would be a bonus)
- Eligibility to work in the UK and/or Italy - exceptional candidates may be sponsored
Jen Richardson of The ONE Group would be delighted to discuss this exclusive opportunity with suitable candidates and share details of this opening.