The GED Mechanical Facilities team provide mechanical maintenance support to the GED state-of-the-art engine test facility to ensure quality data output is maintained. In particular the team has responsibility for manufacturing and fabricating test facility systems and rigs to assist engine development and verification. The team is additionally responsible for commissioning the multi-million pound engine test facility, which has world-class performance, emissions and mechanical validation capabilities. Team members interact with the wider facilities team as well as other departments within GED and the Industrial Power Systems Development Engineers.
The candidate needs the knowledge, base skills and experience to be able to maintain the mechanical and electrical plant within the GED facility to the high standard required to keep the company at the forefront of today's technology. This also includes the ability to maintain records, read and interpret technical drawings and work with engineers, contractors and colleagues to design, install, commission and maintain new, refurbished and modified equipment. The candidate will own improvement and root cause investigation projects through leading small teams and, through technical presentations report to the wider teams and management. They must be excellent at working with a diverse, cross function team. Proven decision making skills in high pressure situations. Excellent at personal time management and priority setting to meet customer targets.
Technicians will support engine testbeds and other facility breakdowns using fault diagnostics techniques; calibrate test bed equipment such as dynamometers and high speed, low speed pressure transducers and control systems. They also cover repair of equipment and the installation and commissioning of new facilities. It is expected that the candidate is subject matter expert in one or more of the following discipline; PLC, electrical, BMS (ownership), Quality documentation (17025 compliant).
- Served a full engineering indentured apprenticeship and or Qualified to a minimum of NVQ level 3 or equivalent.
- Multi-skilled in both Electrical and Mechanical disciplines
- Experience or qualifications for working to health and safety standards/regulations
- BS 7671:2008 IEE 18th Electrical Regulations (Desirable)
- BS 7671:2008 Inspection and Testing of Electrical installations (Desirable)
- Qualifications/Experience of Programmable Logic Control (Allen Bradley, RS logix5000, Siemens)
- Qualifications/Experience in fault finding of hydraulic systems
- Qualifications/Experience in Fabrication and Welding. (Desirable)
- Qualifications/Experience in Calibration of instrumentation
- Qualifications/Experience in Laser alignment of rotating equipment
- Qualifications/Experience in CAD, CREO or equivalent
- Ability to read and interpret, design, hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical drawings.
- Forklift Truck licence (Desirable)
- MEWP lift licence (Desirable)
- Grinding Wheel Regulations
- Key Skills Level 3 (Or relevant experience)
- Hot Watch authority
- First aid at work (Desirable)
Mechanical Maintenance - responding to all aspects of mechanical repairs and breakdowns, working independently
Electrical Maintenance - carry out requests to maintain the electrical facility, under IEE 18th edition Electrical requirements
Pneumatics and Hydraulics - Ability to respond to requests to install, fault diagnose and repair hydraulic and pneumatic systems, including understanding and the use of schematic and detailed circuit drawings.
Machining - Skills include typical milling, turning, grinding, drilling and tapping of parts or components required by Engineers or situations as they arise.
Pipe Fitting - Ability to provide the installation of all service systems within G.E.D. (With the exception of live steam). Includes Compressed air, Process water, Chilled water, Low pressure hot water systems and diesel fuel.
PC literacy - sound knowledge in basic computer skills, with the ability to understand the use of Microsoft tools and packages including MS Teams and SharePoint.
Quality Assurance - ISO90001 or ISO17025 requirements and practices.