I've partnered exclusively with an established and respected company looking to offer a high calibre Quantity Surveyor the opportunity to take the next step in their career.
My client is recruiting for an senior Quantity Surveyor who can within time progress into a Commercial Manager role.
You must have a background working within the construction / building products sector. Any knowledge of Building Management Systems (BMS) would be beneficial but is not essential. It is also important that you want to play a pivotal role in a growing business.
This award-winning consultancy firm were founded 19 years ago and specialise in offering project management, quantity surveying, training support and risk management advice to specialist construction companies. The company is based in Staffordshire and although this is a home-based role applicants do need to live within 1 hour of the office for monthly management meetings and ongoing training or we are open to applicants living around the M25 / Home Counties.
Your role will be to support an existing client base and have a key involvement in commercial and contractual aspects of clients' businesses.
Other responsibilities include:
- Review of project terms and conditions of contract and manage the risk associated with any onerous terms
- Assist with / manage procurement of sub-contractors
- Attend project meetings with clients
- Cost planning and control
You need to be able to maintain excellent attention to detail, be fair and reasonable with clients and sub-contractors, maintain a commercial outlook in all activities and constantly strive to improve value for money. Additionally, you will be an experienced QS with excellent communication skills and be able to build rapport quickly with decision-makers at all levels. Working knowledge of contract management, analysing contractual risk and dispute resolution are all required skills.
We are looking for an individual who wants to make a career for themselves and has a great attitude, enthusiasm and personality.
Ideally you will have some of the following experience:
- A working knowledge of the Payment Process in construction. This must include the 'Construction Act' and how it governs the payment process. You would have been involved in applying for money and have been involved in payment disputes and feel confident doing that for our clients.
- Capable of reviewing the terms and conditions of our clients' orders for risk. By that we mean where the proposed order is not a standard form (JCT, NEC) you are able to see what proposed terms are onerous, understand why and be able to suggest a solution and negotiate an equitable agreement.
- Have had experience of preparing a claim for additional payment to cover loss and expense arising from delay and / or disruption and seeing it through to settlement
- Worked for M&E or BMS or Fire or other sub contracting company or worked as a consultant / been self-employed
- Working capability using Planning Software - MS Project in particular
- Preparing Cost and Value reports internally
- Has been part of an adjudication process
- Is able to take control of Sub Contractor procurement and payment issues.
The idea is that this position will grow to form part of the senior management team with the goal being for that person to then recruit a team and progress to Commercial Manager and then Regional Director level. Involvement at this level will include tasks regarding business operations, growth and profitability.
On offer is a salary of £50,000-£60,000 depending on experience plus bonus scheme, car allowance, 5-weeks holiday plus bank holidays and 5% pension.
For further information contact Natalie on 07879886236 or 01223 237888 or