Industry-leading transport magazine seeks News Editor for exceptionally high-quality content management across magazines, website, events and social media platforms. The role will work closely with both the Deputy Editor and Managing Editor and will provide the opportunity to take full ownership of delivering the latest industry news to readers.
As a market-leading brand, the expectation to deliver engaging and time-sensitive news pieces across numerous media channels (including the repurposing of content!), is high. Finding the right person for this role is crucial to the wider success of the team in meeting the fortnightly deadlines of the magazine. It'll require a proactive journalist who makes it their own personal business to be at the forefront of breaking news as it comes to light.
We expect that this opportunity would suit a creative journalist with previous B2B experience in either the transport, technology or climate-change industry. You'll be someone with a second-to-none news sense, who doesn't shy away from tight deadlines or the use of new platforms or technologies, and who is determined to deliver compelling written content for the purpose of building and maintaining a gold standard reputation.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Keeping your contacts close: This means cultivating a contacts book of high-profile individuals throughout the industry, always being on the lookout for new and off-diary content opportunities.
- Leading on news stories: Keeping on top of new and upcoming stories, consistently identifying "added value" opportunities to bring to readers and contributing to creative discussions for features.
- Planning the news section: Including taking ownership of commissioning externally written stories, building relationships with photographers for collaboration on imagery and collating stories from others in the team.
- Writing: That part's probably not a massive shock to you as a journalist, but we'd also love for you to not just be able to write engaging articles, but also identify appropriate opportunities for repurposing content across other channels, too.
- Digital involvement: Represent the brand on social media platforms, sharing content and advertising the publication's events. Using analytics to make future content decisions and ensuring that the website is kept appropriately updated with relevant news stories for consistency across platforms.
- Representation at events: Attending external events in order to maximise understanding of the industry and its readership, as well as making use of these events for the purpose of promoting the publication and its various offerings.
- Newsletter ownership: Implementation and roll-out of the publication's newsletter and other extensions of the core brand.
In return for your unquestionable tenacity, high attention to detail and the impeccable standards that you apply to each and every piece of work that you produce, the organisation offers a number of great employee benefits in addition to your remuneration. These include a group personal pension scheme, life assurance, private medical and dental care, and travel insurance.
For more information about the News Editor role or to speak to someone about your suitability, please apply now or contact Harry Bragg at the The ONE Group.