We're looking to recruit a Proof of Concept (PoC) Scientist for a Cambridge based company who have been successful for nearly 30 years! They are a University spin out who have had huge success over the years and are now widening their activities across other areas and working on some fascinating technologies in some interesting industries.
As a member of the PoC team, you'll immerse yourself in a diverse range of technology areas such as energy materials, materials for electronic devices and systems and materials for healthcare and food production. Your job will be to evaluate and investigate proposed and potential technologies and, by using applied physics techniques and analysis through practical experiments, decide whether they are feasible.
It'll be you who proposes, designs and carries out the experiments. You'll have a good knowledge of standard test techniques as well as some novel ideas, too. You'll also make recommendations of organisations who have facilities and equipment which might be necessary for carrying out certain tests. When things don't work, you'll investigate why, and try to find solutions to make them feasible. You'll also prepare and present reports and present projects for internal discussion.
- A PhD (or alternatively a degree and equivalent research experience), in an applied physical science or similar
- Excellent academic background
- Post-Doc research experience in materials or applied physics would be ideal
- Experience in electronic materials and electronic devices, including circuits and systems
- Creative, problem-solver
- Self-motivated and independent when working in the lab
- Confident communicator when discussing technical concepts across multiple scientific teams
You might also have experience in…
- Broad-based research focussed on developing and demonstrating new technologies
- Developing testing procedures, including writing experimental and data acquisition control programmes for new devices
- Incorporating materials into device structures to demonstrate desired functional properties
The company are also offering some very generous benefits in addition to a good salary and generous benefits. They offer flexi-time and remote working where possible. They are in a location approx.. 20 minutes (drive) north of Cambridge with very easy access to the A1, A14, M11, etc.