The ONE Group are looking for an experienced Protein Scientist. This University spin-out are flourishing in size and are looking to expand again in 2022. Based in Cambridge, they are doing remarkable things with materials which will ultimately mean less plastic waste in our oceans! The company is already home to one of the world's leading experts in protein science and is backed by some of the world's leading investors.
It's a fabulous time to be joining this company and there are genuine opportunities to progress your career and build your own team as they grow. We are able to look at applications from overseas applicants who are able to relocate to Cambridge.
As part of the team developing biocompatible and biodegradable materials, we're looking for someone who will:
- Lead the development of protein extraction processes and characterisation of sustainable feedstocks for novel protein-based materials
- Apply your protein chemistry knowledge to improve the performance of materials
- Deliver a collaborative project with a lead customer and local agriculture institute to demonstrate a particular solution
- Conduct lab-scale and pilot-scale experiments for the development of optimised protein extraction and purification process
- Lead the development of protein analytical techniques
- Support the techno-economic assessment of novel extraction processes and different protein feedstocks, including related techniques to improve the efficiency waste footprint
- MSc in a protein biochemistry related discipline (or equivalent in skills and experience).
- Hands on experience with a range of protein extraction and purification techniques
- Protein analytical techniques including gel electrophoresis, protein quantification, particle size analysis, DSC and FTIR.
- Demonstrable experience on plant-protein extraction and purification processes
- In-depth knowledge of plant-protein structure and functional properties (solubility, aggregation, texture, emulsifying properties)
- Demonstrable ability to translate fundamental technical knowledge about plant-proteins into applications know-how
- Experience with protein materials or other biomaterials
- Passion for sustainability
- Happy to work in a small (growing!), collaborative, science-led, innovative team where you will want to 'roll your sleeves up', get involved and work hard!
The package includes a generous salary, dependent on your level of experience, flexible hours (the role is predominantly lab-based), Learning & Development budget and share options. Excellent transport links and free parking is available.